Updated: May 22, 2021
"Answer appears when the problem is clear" - Keith W.
Assessment is a well-known word that means evaluation of someone or something. It is used to have a better understanding of the participants. The need to understand the candidates and filter them arise from what the job or work-related position demands. Further assessment assists in increasing self-awareness and enhancing teaching techniques in schools/colleges. Talent, abilities, skills, and competencies need to be aligned or match with the job/role requirement.
Types of Assessments :
1. Diagnostic: It is a test that tries to provide an impression of how much participants know already about a particular topic. Teachers use this method to plan their teaching techniques. The multiple-choice question is an example.
2. Formative: The focus is to gain insight into the participant. It provides feedback about the participant. It can be formal where there is a grading pattern. Or it can be informal where the idea is to understand participants in-depth.
3. Summative: Such assessments occur at the end of a term. This type is often used to recognise which parts are remembered by students and with how much intensity. There is a standard grade with which participants' marks are compared.
4. Authentic: It includes an essay, open-ended questions, research and experiment, presentations and project. The intention is to evaluate the content obtained.
Assessments play a significant role in encouraging learning among students. It provides reflection, feedback and self-awareness to participants. The data obtained are generally rich in quality and reliable. They are an essential tool in showing the effectiveness of a teaching technique. It increases the engagement of students in academics and helps them reach the objective in a better way. It also assists in planning strategies for improving the learning skills of students.
Psychometric tests are a way to identify required characteristics in the candidates as well as offer self-awareness to participants. It reflects the skills, potential and qualities of a person. With the increase in competition, it has become crucial for companies and institutions to select only those who perfectly fit their criteria.
Several types of tests get divided further into more examinations :
1. Aptitude tests: Few categories in this are
Numerical reasoning - tests that check your potential of interpretation data.
Verbal reasoning - evaluates the ability to make a decision based on the given information.
Logical reasoning - it deals with the question of how you conclude.
Inductive reasoning - it helps in recognising novel and unique solutions for the problem.
2. Skills tests: It focuses on the ability of participants to perform the duties mentioned and carry out the task smoothly. Such tests depend upon the job an individual is applying for and the requirements of the job. e.g. a marketing firm (role) may test your ability of creative thinking and analytical skill.
3. Personality tests: Some tests covered are
DiSC - a test that enables recruiters to match the duty with candidates. It aims to improve work productivity. It does not test intelligence.
Myers Briggs - a self-report form of inspection that helps in identifying strengths and weaknesses. This test allows participants to identify their likes, dislikes and know other personality features.
MMPI - an inventory that initially assisted in diagnosing disorders. Now it is also used for occupational purposes. MMPI - 2 has 567 true and false questions about self.
Competition is increasing and, for companies to select the best candidate, they require to set an effective and efficient filter. These tests help in understanding the behaviour and potential of candidates. Further, tests assess the capacity of an individual and ensure that the most competent is selected. What would happen if everyone got the job they wanted? What if teachers taught without knowing which technique is the best? Here come psychometric tests and assessments to rescue.
Credits: Reetu Ravani
Cal Poly. (n.d.). Benefits of Assessment. https://academicprograms.calpoly.edu/content/benefits-assessment
Cherry, K. (2020, September 17). An Overview of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. https://www.verywellmind.com/the-myers-briggs-type-indicator-2795583
Disc profiles. (2011, December 28). DiSC profile definition. https://www.discprofiles.com/blog/2011/12/disc-profile-definition/#.YFdYAq8zZPY
Edulastic. (2018, August 16). What is a Diagnostic Assessment? https://edulastic.com/blog/diagnostic-assessment/
GEORGE LUCAS EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION. (2008, July 15). Eutopia. What Are Some Types of Assessment? https://www.edutopia.org/assessment-guide-description
The GoodJob Team. (2020, April 8). The 5 Best Free Online Personality Tests. https://www.goodjob.io/the-5-best-free-online-personality-tests/
Healthline. (2020, April 20). Stanborough. https://www.healthline.com/health/mmpi-test
Lumen. (n.d.). Boundless Psychology. Assessing Personality. https://courses.lumenlearning.com/boundless-psychology/chapter/assessing-personality/
Sudhir Memorial Institute. (n.d.). Benefits of assessment for learning. https://sudhirmemorialinstituteliluah.com/benefits-of-assessment-for-learning
Thomos. (2020, July 18). The Advantages of Psychometric Testing in Recruitment. https://www.thomas.co/resources/type/hr-blog/advantages-psychometric-testing-recruitment
Top Hat. (n.d.). Summative Assessment. https://tophat.com/glossary/s/summative-assessment/#:~:text=Summative%20assessment%20is%20an%20assessment,have%20a%20high%20point%20value
University of Reading. (n.d.). Why is assessment important? https://www.reading.ac.uk/engageinassessment/why-is-assessment-important/eia-why-is-assessment-important.aspx#:~:text=Well%2Ddesigned%20assessment%20can%20encourage,insight%20into%20the%20assessment%20process.
Westminster College. (n.d.). What Is Assessment? https://www.westminster.edu/about/accreditation-assessment/definition.cfm
WikiJob. (2021, March 3). Psychometric Tests: 6 Free Practice Tests 2021 Update. https://www.wikijob.co.uk/content/aptitude-tests/test-types/what-psychometric-test